Atlanta & Family

Monday, February 4, 2013










This trip to Georgia was a special one, and one of serendipity. For those of you that don't know the background story, I'll try to give a little summary. Last summer my mom was contacted by her half sister, who had been searching for her for many years. Due to multiple name changes and an immigration to Canada, my mom was difficult to track down, but with some help, it was done. In one day, we gained a whole new set of family. It turned out that my mom had four half sisters, one living in Georgia with her family and three others in Barcelona. My biological grandfather was from Spain but lived for most of his life in Venezuela, where my four aunts were born and raised. I won't go into more details, since there are many, but I'll say that it's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster for everyone involved. Going to Georgia to meet my aunt, uncle, and cousins for the first time was unlike anything I'd experienced before. My mom and I were both blown away by the warm welcome and felt instantly comfortable and connected. We spent many hours chatting, discovering shared personal traits and looking through family photos. We learnt how to make traditional Venezuelan corn bread called arepas, and had a paella feast where we were also welcomed by their community of friends. We were shown around my cousin's workplaces - CNN and Turner Studios - and went out flying with my uncle who is a pilot. We were also lucky enough to be included in a beautiful baby shower for my cousin. We're so grateful for all the efforts they made! And, we made it down to Savannah and Charleston too, but more about that later. 

I recently saw Sarah Polley's Stories We Tell, which is a documentary about a family experiencing a very similar chain of events. It's an amazing piece of filmmaking, and I'd highly recommend it if you find this kind of thing interesting. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Elaina, I have to tell you... When I saw the title and the first picture I had to do a double take... ATL is my adopted hometown and Venezuela is my native country. They are both close to my heart and when I saw the picture of the arepa maker it put a smile in my face. Aren't arepas the best? My kiddos cannot have enough of them. Don't get me started on the paella... Oh my, just too much of a coincidence (I once commented on your pictures from Iceland - I found you via "the house that Lars built").

    I hope the weather was nice for you while you visited the ATL (although I have the feeling it was way warmer that Copenhagen).

    Elena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elena - of course, I remember the coincidence with our names and Iceland travels! But this is just crazy!! Such a funny coincidence. Ah, yes, I am addicted to arepas now. I brought home some masa so I can make my own. I was just catching up on your lovely blog (I am so behind in all my blog reading!) and saw that we were right in the same area - Marietta - as well as Savannah and Charleston! Too funny. Maybe you will run into my family someday!

      And yes, it was so nice and warm! Such a nice change from Denmark. :)

      Delete
  2. What a sweet reunion, Elaina! I am so happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing love. I can't believe they found you.

    (And... that dog! AW!)

    ReplyDelete

Fint & Dejlig All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger